Monday, March 27, 2006

Privatising the NHS! Oy, Tony, No

It's been a while since my last post, admittedly, but I'm back

I talked about privatisation a while ago, in a bit of a rant...

I continue, we hear today in the news that our "Health System" (note as they privatise it bit by bit it stops being a "Health Service") is failing the elderly. Again, lack of funds, and private companies conspire to lead us rapidly to the bottom in the search for "cost efficiency" and "profit".

I read with horror this tale of elderly patients simply being turfed out on to "skid row". Admittedly, this didn't happen here in the UK, but prizes for guessing (before you read the article) which country it did happen in?

If you answered the Good Ole' US of A you'd be spot on, yes one of the richest countries in the world has become so uncaring about it's elderly poor, that they are just dumped by the nearest sally army mission or similar.

They always say what happens in America now will happen here in a few years, this is something we MUST not let happen in Britain, we're better than that, or we should be.

I intend to contact my MP, George Mudie, about this, just to point out the direction we seem to be sliding towards, if you feel concerned write to your MP, you can find out who it is (if you don't already know) by entering your postcode on this site, and you can also keep an eye on what they've been voting for or against. Useful to know.

For the sake of saving a little cash, do we really want our health service system to be privatised piece by piece till we have nothing left but private health care as in America? the NHS has always been jealously look upon by other countries as the BEST there is, and to waste it by worrying about cost effiency is just plain short sited, we all get ill from time to time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't want a "choice" of hospitals, and I don't want to find I can't be treated because it's not "cost efficient" I just want to be made better if I'm ill, after all, I pay enough in taxes for it.

No comments: