Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fog lights and rainy days

I see this all the time, and it bugs me, people who think that if it's a bit rainy they should put their fog lights on.

I think in all my 20 odd driving years I have only had cause to put my fog lights on twice, in both cases the fog was so bad I couldn't see more than 100 yards (think metres youngsters) in front of me.

The highway code lays out the law as to when you should use fog lights, it's perfectly clear.

Highway Code : Driving in adverse weather conditions.

Especially of note is this section.

236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.


This old road safety film featuring former Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves explains in more detail why using fog lights in rain is a bad idea, perhaps it should be re-broadcast?



OK, Grump over, carry on!

No comments: